Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook
The required student text for taking the Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course in a classroom-based format. Full-color softcover, 200 pages, 8 1/2″ x 11″, plus two CPR AED reminder cards (adult and child/infant) and the Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Quick Reference Guide. Based on the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and ECC and the 2015 American Heart Association and American Red Cross Update for First Aid.
This course teaches students to respond to and manage illnesses and injuries in a child or an infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives. The course is intended for those involved in child care who have a duty to respond to children’s health emergencies, including child-care workers, teachers, foster-care workers, camp counselors, youth organizations, and coaches for children’s sports organizations. This course is also ideal for parents, grandparents, babysitters, and guardians.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of a rescuer providing first aid to a child or an infant
- describe the four key steps in first aid for children and infants: prevent, protect, assess, and act
- remove protective gloves
- describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock
- control bleeding and bandaging
- use an epinephrine pen
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to pediatric first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR, and perform high-quality CPR for an infant, child, or adult (adult CPR module is optional)
- give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on a child or an adult (adult AED module is optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking infant, child, or adult.
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Key Features and Benefits
This workbook is for use by a single user as a student reference tool before, during, and after the course. It comes with three supplemental reference tools (see below).
Dimensions and Specifications
8 1/2″ x 11″
200 pages, plus one each of three reference cards:
- Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Quick Reference Guide (item no. EC15-1040)
- adult CPR AED reminder card, 7 panels, 2 7/8″ x 3 3/4″ (folded)
- child and infant CPR AED reminder card, 8 panels, 2 7/8″ x 3 3/4″ (folded)
Full-color, softcover book
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are the reference cards available separately?
A: The Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Quick Reference Guide is sold separately (item no. EC15-1040), but the CPR AED reminder cards are not.
|Dimensions||11 × .25 × 8.5 in|