HeartCode® BLS (Online Student Product For Blended Learning)
This item is the online portion of the Basic Life Support (BLS) course when taken in a blended-learning format. Once students pass the included exam at the end of the online portion, they participate in a classroom-based training session featuring discussion, skills practice, and testing. Successful completion of both the online and classroom portions, including skills practice and testing with a certified American Heart Association BLS Instructor, qualifies students for a BLS provider course card. The online program includes eSimulations and other interactive activities, and allows students to choose between in-facility and prehospital tracks to best meet their learning needs. PC and Mac® compatible. Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions for activating the course will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day.
BLS is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. This course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings (students choose one of these two tracks when completing HeartCode BLS). The BLS course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills.
After successfully completing the BLS course, students should be able to:
- describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- describe all the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- perform high-quality CPR on adults, children, and infants
- describe the importance of early AED use and demonstrate using one
- provide effective ventilations with a barrier device
- describe the importance of teams in multirescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants.
Key Features and Benefits
HeartCode BLS is the online portion of the BLS course when taken in a blended-learning format. It uses a variety of eLearning assets — such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities — to teach students BLS knowledge and skills. After completing the online portion, including passing the online exam with a score of 84% or higher, students attend a structured Instructor-led classroom session that focuses on meaningful skills practice, debriefing, team scenarios, discussions of local protocols, and skills testing.
Course features and benefits:
- Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks; student chooses a track before starting HeartCode BLS modules
- Includes 10 modules, 5 eSimulations, and 2 video tutorials
- eSimulation cases include:
- 2 adult two-rescuer BLS cases
- 1 child one-rescuer BLS case
- 1 infant two-rescuer BLS case
- 1 infant one-rescuer BLS case
- Summary of critical concepts provided for each eSimulation case
- Virtual debriefings provided immediately after each eSimulation
- Includes downloadable resources:
- BLS Reference Card
- Team Diagram
- Summary of High-Quality CPR Components
- Skills Testing Checklists
- AHA Chains of Survival
- Provides online access to the BLS Provider Manual
- Multiple-choice, 25-question exam to test cognitive knowledge
- Certificate of completion that grants access to the classroom portion is available to print after HeartCode BLS modules and simulations, exam, and course evaluation have been completed successfully
- Eligibility for continuing education credit
- physicians — American Heart Association designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- physician assistants — AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of 1.75 hours of Category I credit for completing this program.
- nurse practitioners — American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME (must be claimed within 6 months of attendance).
- nurses — The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 1.75 contact hours (must be claimed within 6 months of attendance).
- pharmacists — ACPE Credit: 1.75 Contact Hours. Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-16-830-H01-P (must be claimed within 30 days of participation).
- emergency medical services — This continuing education activity is approved by American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS), for 1.75 Basic CEHs, activity number 16-AMHA-F3-0300 (must be claimed within 6 months of attendance).
Includes access to all HeartCode BLS information for 24 months following activation.
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions for activating HeartCode® BLS will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: Each course purchased can only be used by a single student. This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC and Mac® compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer with Internet access
Minimum computer requirements:
- Connection: Broadband/T1/Cable/DSL/Fiber/etc.
- Operating system: Windows XP or later, or Mac OSX 10.6 or later
- Processor speed: 1+ GHz Pentium or equivalent
- RAM: 1+ GB RAM
- Web browser: Internet Explorer 9 or above, Chrome (recommended), or Firefox
- Speakers/headphones: Recommended
- Soundcard: Recommended
- Macromedia Flash (latest version)
- QuickTime Plugin (4.0 or above)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (latest version)
Instructors teaching the classroom session will need:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Manual (item no. EC15-1009)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual (item no. EC15-1010)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) DVD Set with Renewal Course DVD (item no. EC15-1079)
All required Instructor materials listed above are also available as part of the Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Package with Renewal (item no. EC15-1077).
Other supplies needed to teach the BLS course:
- DVD player
- training manikins
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does HeartCode BLS include access to the BLS student manual?
A: Yes, it includes online access to the Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual (item no. EC15-1010).
Q: How long can students access the information in HeartCode BLS?
A: Once a student activates the course, the student can access all information for 24 months.
Q: Is this a credentialed course?
A: Yes, successful completion of both the online portion and the classroom portion results in a BLS provider course completion card.
Q: How long does it take to complete the online HeartCode BLS program?
A: HeartCode BLS takes approximately 90 to 100 minutes to complete, depending on the student’s level of experience.
Q: How long does it take to complete the Instructor-led classroom session?
A: The length of the session ranges from 70 minutes to 2 hours and 45 minutes, depending on the agenda used by the Instructor conducting the session. There is a sample agenda in the BLS Instructor Manual, and additional optional agendas are available on the American Heart Association Instructor Network.