eBook Edition: Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual
The eBook version of the required student text for taking the Basic Life Support (BLS) course in a classroom-based format. This manual contains all the information students need to successfully complete the BLS course. Designed for use by a single student, this text is also ideal for use as a reference tool before and after the course. Includes an electronic version of the BLS pocket reference card. Based on the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and ECC. PC, Mac®, Android, and iOS compatible. Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions on how to access the eBook will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day.
BLS is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. This video-based, Instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings. This course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills.
After successfully completing the BLS course, students should be able to:
- describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- describe all the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- perform high-quality CPR on adults, children, and infants
- describe the importance of early AED use and demonstrate using one
- provide effective ventilations with a barrier device
- describe the importance of teams in multirescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants.
Key Features and Benefits
This manual contains all the information students need to successfully complete the BLS course, and is also ideal for use as a reference tool before and after the course. Comes with an electronic version of the BLS reference card with content on:
- Critical Concepts
- BLS Healthcare Provider Adult Cardiac Arrest Algorithm — 2015 Update
- BLS Healthcare Provider Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Algorithm for the Single Rescuer — 2015 Update
- BLS Healthcare Provider Pediatric Cardiac Arrest Algorithm for 2 or More Rescuers — 2015 Update
- Summary of High-Quality CPR Components
- Relief of Foreign-Body Airway Obstruction
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
- emergency medical services — This continuing education activity is approved by American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 2.5 Basic CEHs, activity number 16-AMHA-F3-0302 (must be claimed within 6 months of participation).
Each student must have his or her own student manual eBook.
Please include an e-mail address when ordering. Instructions on how to access the eBook will be e-mailed to you, usually within 1 business day. NOTE: This product is not eligible for the standard 30-day return policy.
Dimensions and Specifications
PC, Mac®, iOS, and Android compatible
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
Computer or device with Internet connection and a current Web browser
- Chrome, version 42 and above
- Firefox, version 37 and above
- Safari, version 8 and above
- Internet Explorer, version 11 and above
- iOS device browsers, device version 7.0 and above
- Android device browsers, device version 4.4 and above
iOS app: iPhones and iPads with version 7.0 and above
Android app: Smartphones and tablets with version 4.1.x and above
Offline viewing available through the iPublishCentral reader (download from the My Bookshelf page at https://eBooks.heart.org)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the return policy on eBooks?
A: All eBook sales are final. Please ensure that you are purchasing the correct title for your needs before placing your order, as eBooks may not be returned or exchanged.
Q: How do students access eBooks?
A: Instructions for accessing eBooks will be e-mailed to you. (Please be sure to include an e-mail address when you order.)
Q: Can I print this eBook?
A: American Heart Association eBooks are not intended to be printed. Printing and copying restrictions apply.
Q: Does this eBook come with a reference card like the print edition does?
A: The eBook includes an electronic version of the reference card.