Basic Life Support (BLS) Renewal Course DVD
This DVD contains the video content required to teach the accelerated BLS renewal course for providers who need to renew their BLS skills and BLS Provider Course Completion Card. The DVD contains scenarios for single-rescuer and team BLS skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings. Running time: 71 min. Subtitled. Based on the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for CPR and ECC.
This video-based, Instructor-led course features accelerated content that is designed for learners with existing BLS knowledge, allowing for time efficiency while teaching both single-rescuer and team BLS skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings. This course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and provide early use of an AED. It includes adult, child, and infant rescue techniques.
BLS teaches skills using AHA’s research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allows Instructors to observe students, provide feedback, and guide students’ acquisition of skills. The course uses a recommended ratio of 6 students to 2 manikins to 1 instructor.
After successfully completing the BLS Renewal Course, students should be able to:
- describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- describe all the steps of the Chain of Survival
- apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- describe the importance of early use of an AED
- demonstrate the appropriate use of an AED
- provide effective ventilation by using a barrier device
- perform high-quality CPR for a child
- perform high-quality CPR for an infant
- describe the importance of teams in multirescuer resuscitation
- perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction for an adult or child
- describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction for an infant.
Eligibility for continuing education credit:
Emergency Medical Services — This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE), for 2.25 Basic CEHs, activity number 18-AMHA-F2-0001.
Key Features and Benefits
This DVD allows BLS Instructors to choose one of two tracks, in-facility or prehospital, based on the needs of the students in the class.
- 1-Rescuer Adult BLS
- 2-Rescuer Child BLS
- Team Dynamics
- Infant BLS
- Relief of Choking
- Special Considerations
Dimensions and Specifications
Total running time: 71 minutes
Additional Supplies Needed for Operation
To teach the BLS renewal course, you will also need:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual (item no. EC15-1010)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Manual (item no. EC15-1009)
Other supplies needed:
- DVD player
- training manikins
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How is the renewal course different from the inital BLS course?
A: The renewal course requires less classroom time than the classroom-based initial course, allowing for more efficiency in training providers who already have BLS experience.
Q: Is there guidance about what sections of the provider and Instructor manuals need to be referenced to teach the renewal course?
A: Resources are available on the AHA Instructor network that provide information about teaching the renewal course, including training scenarios.
Q: Can any provider who previously took the full BLS course take the renewal course?
A: Any provider who already had BLS certification can take the renewal course. However, the course is available only in a classroom-based format.
Q: Can I use the existing BLS 2-DVD set to teach the renewal course?
A: It is possible to teach a renewal course using the existing course DVDs. However, the new course has been designed to make it easier to offer the content most relevant to providers with previous BLS training.
|Dimensions||8.5 × 1 × 11 in|